Mid-Cities Basketball Association
Each prospective head coach selects practice sessions for their team on a “first come, first served” basis. If request is sent by email and all procedures were followed,
practices are scheduled based on earliest date/time of emailed request.
For Draw and Rookie Leagues, head coaches can make their choices after completing on-line coaching application.
For a select team, team must have completed select team registration with head coach application.
Please follow these steps to request practice sessions.
- Read and consider the following.
Review Practice Site Schedules and find two open slots.
Email your request to VP-Operations@mcbba.org.
Be sure to include your league, team name, and requested school, days, and times.
- Each team has two practices per week, Monday through Friday only.
- Your choices are limited to HEB ISD elementary schools. However, not every gym is available for MCBBA practices.
Some are used for after-school activities, YMCA basketball, and other special needs.
- If you prefer full court practice, avoid selecting both Tuesday and Thursday for practices. We assign teams to one end of the gym, sharing the gym with another team.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays, it’s unlikely you receive a full court gym session.
- Planned school holidays or activities are usually on Mondays and occasionally Fridays, causing a “short week” and a modification of affected practices.
- For teams with players in grades 1st through 4th, it is highly recommend to select early practice sessions (6:30 to 7:45 pm) and only consider the later
time if your work schedule requires AND you are prepared for parents’ complaints.
- For teams with players in 5th through 8th grades, you may ONLY select later sessions (7:45 to 9:00 pm) initially.
Only after ALL the younger teams’ requests are satisfied, you may request one of the remaining earlier sessions.
Only exception is for a HEAD coach for two teams.
- Some schools are more popular than others. The earlier you sign up, the better your chances. Some schools fill out early and others never fill out.
Our players and coaches are not spread out evenly in the area.
- Wednesday practices are often unpopular. As such, coaches selecting a Wednesday practice generally have the full gym that night.
Exceptions occur due to "short weeks" and on rare occasions when no more gym space is available.
- Final confirmation of schedules is given at the player draw (team assignment) meetings. Changes to schedules may be made following team formation.
Coaches with a substantial number of returning players (especially in 2nd, 4th and 6th grade leagues) should take an opportunity to discover parents’ preferences to avoid conflicts.