Mid-Cities Basketball Association
Each prospective head coach selects practice sessions for their team on a “first come, first served” basis. If request is sent by email and all procedures were followed,
practices are scheduled based on earliest date/time of emailed request.
Head coaches can make their choices AFTER completing coaching application.
Please follow these steps to request practice sessions.
- Read and consider the following.
- Each team has two 75 minute practices per week, Monday through Friday only.
- Your choices are limited to HEB ISD elementary schools. However, not every gym is available for MCBBA practices.
Some are used for after-school activities, YMCA basketball, and other special needs.
- If you prefer full court practice, avoid selecting the ever popular Tuesday and Thursday for practices.
We assign teams to one end of the gym, sharing the gym with another team.
Consequently on Tuesday and Thursday, it's unlikely you receive a full court gym session.
- Planned school holidays or activities are tend to be on Mondays and Fridays, causing a “short week” and a modification of affected practices.
- For teams with players in grades 1st through 4th, it is highly recommended to select early practice sessions (6:30 to 7:45 PM)
and only consider the later time if your work schedule requires AND you are prepared for parents’ complaints.
- For teams with players in 5th through 8th grades, you may ONLY select later sessions (7:45 to 9:00 PM) initially.
Only after ALL the younger teams’ requests are satisfied, you may request one of the remaining earlier sessions.
The only exception is for a HEAD coach for two teams.
- Some schools are more popular than others. The earlier you sign up, the better your chances. Some schools fill out early and others never fill out.
Our players and coaches are not spread out evenly in the area.
- Wednesday practices are often unpopular. As such, coaches selecting a Wednesday practice generally have the full gym that night.
Exceptions occur due to "short weeks" and on rare occasions when no more gym space is available.
- We encourage coaches to confirm practice schedule no later than the player draw (team assignment) meetings. Changes to schedules may be made following team formation.
Coaches with a substantial number of returning players (especially in 2nd, 4th and 6th grade leagues) should take an opportunity to discover parents’ preferences to avoid conflicts.
- Review Practice Site Schedules and find two open slots.
- Email request to VP-Operations@mcbba.org.
Be sure to include your league, team name, and requested school, days, and times.