Mid-Cities Basketball Association
Major League (5th and 6th grades) Playing Rules - Summary
MCBBA uses the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Official Basketball Rules.
Following are the exceptions for Major Leagues.
- The 3 Second Rule in Rule 9-7 [free throw lane violation] is changed to a 5 Second Rule.
- A full court press after a lead of 20 points or more will result in a 2 shot penalty AND continued possession of the ball by the offended team.
If a team is ahead by 20 or more points, that team may not full court press for the remainder of the game even if the lead is reduced to less than 20 points.
- If a team is ahead by more than 20 points at any time during a game, the TRAILING team coach may request either one or both (or none) of the following:
- A running clock to be used.
If the trailing team elects this provision, the game clock is ONLY stopped for the following events: 1. time outs 2. player injury 3. penalty shots.
However if the lead is reduced to less than 20 points, the clock automatically becomes regulation (stopped for all whistles).
- The scoreboard score to show zero for both teams. The official score will continue to be recorded in the scorebook.
However if the lead is reduced to less than 20 points, the scoreboard score will reflect the actual score.
- Every player must play 12 minutes per game (Does not apply to Select Leagues).
- Only players and approved coaches (maximum of two) may occupy the bench during the game.
- One coach may leave the coaching box to direct his/her players.
- Five (5) full time-outs, to be taken anytime during the game, will be allowed.
- Quarters are six (6) minutes. Halftime intermission is five (5) minutes.
- Overtime periods are two (2) minutes. One (1) additional time-out for each team for each overtime period is allowed. Time-outs remaining from regulation may also be taken.
- Home team players ALWAYS wear white jersey. Visiting team players wears colored jersey.
- Home team sits to the scorekeeper's left; visiting team sits to the scorekeeper's right.
- For safety reasons, players will not be allowed to wear jewelry.
- Only league issued jerseys for current season are allowed.
- Uniform undergarments maybe of any color or length.